Selecting the right axle type and length
When selecting the right axle for your trailer you need to consider the following:
The load rating of the axle must support the maximum ATM rating. For multiple axle trailers divide the ATM by the number of axles to determine the minimum load capacity of each axle.
Our axles have the following ratings:
- 1000kg - 39mm round with LM bearing
- 1200kg - 40mm square with LM bearing
- 1500kg - 45mm square with slimline bearing
- 1800kg - 45mm square with parallel bearing
- 2500kg - 50mm square with TX bearing.
Maximum trailer width:
In Australia the maximum trailer width is 2.5 metres.
Measure the overall length of the axle including the end of the spindle. To do this wheels and any hubs must be removed. This is called a tip-to-tip measurement.
If you are unable to supply us with a tip-to-tip and it is an existing trailer then we will need a face-to-face measurement. We can then work out a tip-to-tip from this.
Measure from the face of the hub where the wheel bolts on, to the face on the other end of the axle where the wheel bolts on.
Then contact us on 07 3205 8846 with information on hub type, bearing type and the face to face measurement.
If its a new trailer
You are building a new trailer and have built the chassis, to get a face to face measurement follow the following steps. Please be aware you need to have your wheel and rim for measurements.
A: Your chassis width:
B: The clearance between the chassis and the wheel
C: The backspace of the rim. Put the wheel complete with tyre on a flat surface with the inside of the rim facing the flat surface and measure the distance from the surface to the inside of the rim.
Record the results and calculate
A= Chassis width = ______
B= Clearance = ______
C= Backspace = ______
(depending on the brakes you are using, your backspace may vary)
Face-to-face measurement = A + (B x 2) + (C x 2)
We stock the following axles:
- 39mm round with LM (Holden) bearing marine turn rated 1000kg, lengths from 1400mm to 2160mm long in both galvanised or black steel material
- 40mm square with LM (Holden) bearing marine turn rated 1200kg, lengths from 1400mm to 2415mm long in both galvanised or black steel material
- 45mm square with slimline (Ford) bearing marine turn rated 1500kg, lengths from 1525mm to 2415mm long in both galvanised or black steel materials.
- 45mm square with parallel bearing marine turn rated 1800kg, lengths from 1625mm to 2415mm long in both galvanised or black steel material
- 50mm square with TX bearing marine turn rated 2500kg, lengths from 1625mm to 2415mm long in both galvanised or black steel material
Still unsure of which axle suits your trailer? Please call our friendly sales team on 07 3205 8846, email us or visit our store at 4 Leanne Crescent Lawnton, northside of Brisbane.